Whoa there, CL Psych’s gone to town on this one…
Someone has written to him asking about the Advantages of Paroxetine for depression & anxiety.
I reproduce just a part of his reply below:
Please see the following posts for a detailed explanation of the “advantages” of paroxetine (Paxil/Seroxat) as discussed previously on my site…
- Advantage 1: Increases suicide attempts in patients.
- Advantage 2: Potentially increases obesity in patients, though research is preliminary.
- Advantage 3: Increase in birth defects for children whose mothers were taking Paxil while pregnant.
- Advantage 4: Excellent marketing, both for social phobia and depression. Excellent use of misleading writing in so-called scientific journals when writing about the “advantages” of Paxil, including using euphemisms for unpleasantries like suicide attempts.
- Advantage 5: Major discontinuation symptoms. Take Paxil for a while, try to stop and let me know what “advantage” you notice. See references at bottom of this post for a start. There are many more studies documenting clearly the difficulties with paroxetine withdrawal.
- Advantage 6: Those wonderful sexual side effects. And they might last for a long time even after one stops taking the medication.
I think you’d better go and read the rest of the reply.
Way to go, CL (I believe that’s what you say over in America)
But there’s so much more as well….
How about Seroxat and violence?
How about Seroxat and dependence?
How about Seroxat and murder?